Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rabbit Hole

I finally got up the nerve. I have had this DVD for at least a few months now. I've been planning to watch it alone at some point, but I was afraid of how it might affect me.

Nicole Kidman (nominated Best Actress for this role) and Aaron Eckert star as parents who are eight months out from losing their four-year-old son. While this experience is, of course, very different from that of parents surviving a stillbirth, I wondered if this movie might strike too close to home.

So, I finally fired up the DVD player and watched it this morning. I thought it was an amazing, insightful and sensitive movie. From the very opening scene, I felt like I knew these people. What they were doing and saying, how they were acting. It was all familiar to me: their interactions, the conflicts of grief, the group setting, the reaction (or lack of reaction) from friends and acquaintances. I loved how the movie portrayed a couple trying to go on with some sense of normalcy, in spite of their heartbreak and suffering. Finally, I felt a message of hope and healing.

I wanted to share my impressions of this movie with you, because I would encourage you to consider watching it. I hope that you will find it as moving as I did.


1 comments:

Laura Beck said...

Thank you for suggesting this movie, i'm definitely going to check it out.<3
Whats ironic, is Jeff and I are going out this weekend to a Halloween party with a group of friends and we are all going as Alice in Wonderland characters. They chose me as Alice. I was thinking, this is strangely appropriate because I feel like I have "fallen down the rabbit hole" and ended up in a new world, one where I never wanted to be this year.
So the title of this really speaks to me as well.
Sending love to you.

Post a Comment

Blog Hop!

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved